top of page

What To Do If You’re Hit By An Uninsured Driver In Sault Ste. Marie

a male driver with tattoos on the open roadway near Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario

Have you or a loved one been recently injured in a motor vehicle accident, and no automobile insurance exists to respond to your claim? Don’t worry, you’re still entitled to claim compensation. Here’s everything you need to know.


In Ontario, all motorists are legally required to have auto insurance. Not carrying auto insurance is illegal and carries a hefty fine. You could also have your driver’s licence suspended or your vehicle impounded. Despite these repercussions, not all drivers are covered by auto insurance. Fortunately, if you were injured by an uninsured driver, you may be eligible to make a claim to the Motor Vehicle Accident Claims Fund (MVACF) for your injuries or property damage. You can turn to the MVACF for accident benefits coverage if:

  • You were a cyclist or pedestrian who was hit by an uninsured driver

  • You were a passenger in a vehicle, and neither driver was insured

  • You can’t identify the other vehicle in a hit-and-run accident, or the vehicle was stolen

The Motor Vehicle Accident Claims Fund should be used as a last resort for compensation if you were injured in an accident and no other insurance is available.


If you’re involved in a car crash, it’s advisable to take the following steps to ensure you have the evidence you need to be legally represented:

  • Record the details of the accident. Make sure you jot down the date, time, and location of the accident. Keep a record of how it happened and the road and weather conditions at the time of the incident. If possible, gather pictures or videos to document the accident, as well as eyewitness accounts and police reports.

  • Seek immediate medical attention, even if you’re unsure about the extent of your injuries. Some injuries can take days or even weeks to develop. Receiving a prompt diagnosis could help avoid future complications. Keep all receipts and invoices for any expenses you incurred because of your injuries.

  • Finally, promptly contact a personal injury lawyer to handle your case. They’ll help you weigh your options and use the information you collected to create a strong case. The more information you can provide, the easier it will be to get the compensation you need and deserve.


If you were involved in a motor vehicle accident as a passenger, pedestrian or cyclist and don’t have access to car insurance, don’t worry. The lawyers at Feifel Gualazzi can help. Our team will closely evaluate your case and determine if you’re able to make a successful claim for damages. To arrange a free consultation, contact us today.


bottom of page