What To Do If You’re Injured In A Parking Lot Accident In Ontario
Although most parking lot accidents are minor fender benders, some can result in severe injuries or death. Depending on the situation, you could also be held liable or be eligible for compensation. Here’s what you need to know.
Common types of parking lot accidents
Here are some common types of parking lot accidents:
• A vehicle hits a pedestrian or cyclist
• A moving vehicle hits a parked vehicle
• A vehicle hits a stationary object like a curb, shopping cart, traffic sign or light post
• Two vehicles that are backing up hit each other
• A vehicle backs out of a parking space into another parked or moving vehicle
• Two vehicles competing for the same spot crash into one another
• A vehicle rear-ends another vehicle at a stop sign
If someone hit your car but fled the scene without leaving a note, it’s considered an illegal hit and run. You should report the accident to the police so they can investigate.
There’s a common misconception that both drivers are considered equally at fault in all parking lot accidents. However, just like any other motor vehicle accident, fault is determined on a case-by-case basis. Depending on the situation, one driver may be held 100 per cent liable.
Steps to take if you’re in a parking lot accident
If you’re in a parking lot mishap, you must follow the same steps you would for any other type of traffic accident. For example, you should:
• Check to see if anyone is injured, and if so, call emergency services immediately
• Move your vehicle out of the way of traffic if it’s safe to do so
• Exchange contact information and insurance details with the other driver
• Take pictures of both vehicles and any damage at the scene of the accident
• Tell your insurance provider
You must contact the police if someone was hurt in the accident or if the combined damage to both vehicles exceeds $2,000.
Lastly, even if you don’t think you sustained an injury in the accident, seek immediate medical attention. Some injuries can take days or even weeks to develop. Therefore, receiving a proper diagnosis as soon as possible could help avoid future complications.
Experienced lawyers in Northern Ontario
If you’ve been injured in a parking lot accident, you may be eligible to claim damages. Fortunately, the team of lawyersat Feifel Gualazzi can help you claim fair compensation. We have extensive experience representing clients in personal injury cases throughout Northern Ontario. Contact us for a free consultation, or to find out if you have a case