26/09/2022 by Feifel Gualazzi
Trends and Stats of Motor Vehicle Accidents in Northern Ontario
Collisions involving motor vehicles significantly cause injury and death in Ontario. Here’s a look at how you can improve your chances of staying safe behind the wheel.
Although Ontario’s roads consistently rank among the safest in North America, one person is killed on Ontario roads every 15 hours. Here are some alarming stats from the 2019 Ontario Road Safety Annual Report.
- 1,573 people were seriously injured
- One in five vehicle occupants killed in a motor vehicle collision wasn’t wearing seat belts
- 129 pedestrians were fatally injured
- 95 people were killed in collisions involving an inattentive driver
- 108 people were involved in a fatal drinking and driving accident
The good news is that many motor vehicle accidents are preventable. Everyone has a role to play in reducing the number of traffic-related fatalities and serious injuries. Here are a few things you can do to stay safe.
- Wear a seat belt. Wearing a seat belt is the law and can dramatically increase your chances of surviving a motor vehicle collision.
- Don’t drive under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Choose a designated driver when going out or set money aside for a taxi. Refuse to ride with someone who is impaired.
- Be aware of your surroundings. Check your mirrors frequently and scan conditions before you every 20 to 30 seconds. Also, keep an eye on other road users like cyclists and pedestrians.
- Stay calm. Anger can cause you to make rash decisions. Don’t let road rage get the better of you; keep calm as much as possible.
- Reduce your speed. Always drive within the speed limit and adjust your speed for weather and road conditions.
- Avoid distractions. Eating, drinking, smoking, reaching for an item, texting and talking on the phone are all distractions that can lead to a severe collision. Driving needs your full attention.
Unfortunately, even these preventative measures won’t ensure total safety on the road. Therefore, if you or someone you love is injured in an accident, immediately consult a personal injury lawyer to ensure your rights are protected.
Have You Been Injured in a Car Accident? Call Personal Injury Lawyers In Sault Ste. Marie And The Algoma District
If you’re injured in a car accident, the experienced lawyers at Feifel Gualazzi can help you get fair compensation. Whether or not you’re legally at fault, you’re entitled to coverage from your insurance provider, and if it’s unreasonable, we’ll take the case to trial. We also handle claims for snowmobile, motorcycle and ATV accidents. For a free consultation or to learn more about our services, contact us today!